NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Ivanhoe Newswire) — Summertime is all about getting outside and firing up the grill for an all American barbeque. However, here is a warning out where for meat lovers. A small, but growing outdoor danger could take that away from you.
What started out as a tick bite in September Norman’s front yard nearly took her life weeks later.
Norman told Ivanhoe, “I played golf and grilled some steaks, and at about 2:30 in the morning I woke up and my hands were on fire.
September Norman was going into shock.
Norman told Ivanhoe, “My tongue and lips started swelling to the point that I could barely speak.”
Emergency responders treated her and sent her home, but a pork dinner that week landed her back in the ER. That’s when she mentioned the still itching tick bite to her doctor.
Norman said, “He looked at me and says I know what you have. You have alpha-gal and I went, alpha what?”
Allergist at Vanderbilt University, Robert S. Valet, MD says alpha-gal is a sugar found in red meat. Bites from the “lone star tick” trigger an allergic response.
Valet told Ivanhoe, “They’ll have this bite and never have had any issues before but maybe days later can have these really life-threatening reactions out of the blue.”
This means that those with the alpha-gal allergy must give up all red meat.
Valet told Ivanhoe that this includes, “Beef, pork, lamb, goat, even game like deer or rabbits.”
Ugh. No bacon. Ever again. Ugh.