The problem is that Republicans control 1/2 of 1/3 of the government. They have no political way to force the repeal of the ACA. They don’t control the senate—or even have a majority in it—and they don’t control the White House. Since we don’t have government by magical pixie dust, but by actual votes in actual legislative bodies and approval by the president, what possible path to ACA repeal was on the table?
1. House: Pass a clean CR that includes no funding for the implementation of Obamacare. (Which, contrary to Ruling Party myth, would have stopped implementation in its tracks).
2. House: When Senate amends the resolution to add Obamacare funding back in, and returns it to the House, amend it back to its original form, and send it back. Wash, rinse, repeat, as long as it takes.
3. When 17% of the government “shuts down” for lack of a CR, tough it out. Let America see what a bunch of thugs work for Barack Obama, and how little the government cares for the people it purportedly represents.
4. When we reach the point of a phony default, which everybody who pays attention knew was phony, continue to hang tough. Refuse to capitulate. Let Barack Obama feel the heat as well. Don’t premptively surrender.
5. Every single time Obama has felt any real heat, he’s caved. He’s an archetypical bully. Punch him in the nose and he’ll quit – especially if his fellow gang members start to peel off.
6. Don’t decide in advance that there is no way you can win!
7. Don’t listen to pundits, bloggers, and other “experts” supposedly on your side who tell you you’re doomed before you even fight.